How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117438
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen who met a women in India that I will get

This answer was rated:

I am a US citizen who met a women in India that I will get engaged to next month and then get married once she comes to the US after I sponsor her as a fiancee. Whe I asked her if she was receptive to signing a pre-nup, she was a bit hesitant but when I told her that is a pre-requisite for the marriage, she has agree. I have an IRA, a 401K, and a condo that I want to safeguard and am debating if I should create a trust or draft a pre-nup. I have other movable assetts that I want protected.

I do not want to spend a lot of money and was wondering if there is a pre-canned pre-nup agreemnet that I could use. My condo is in Michigan. I also want to know the best state to get married in (so my assets can be protected.)

Thank you,

Actually, the canned agreements are typically never the best idea, since you cannot rely on them to be specific enough to your needs. A prenup should not cost you more than about $500-$1000 and a simple irrevocable trust would be about $2500 to have properly drafted. The issue is that the trust would be more difficult for her to break than a prenuptial agreement which can be voided by a court based on it being considered unconscionable or lacking full financial disclosure to the other party.

There is no real one best state to get married in, since it is the divorce that matters. If you are not in a community property state getting divorced, and MI is not a community property state, then any assets coming into existence during the marriage (including interest on separate assets) will be divided equitably, which does not necessarily mean equally to the court. The only way to truly protect your assets is with the trust, since the irrevocable trust is considered a separate entity from you and your beneficial rights in the trust remain your separate property. The prenuptial agreement leaves a lot to the court's discretion and should be used in combination with the trust to protect any assets you acquire from the date of your marriage if you choose, but for protecting your previously owned separate assets and retirement plans, the trust is the ultimate protection.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you