How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I at least entitled to remain covered with the health i

This answer was rated:

Am I at least entitled to remain covered with the health insurance
Good morning,

Thank you for asking for me.

Whether you may remain on the same plan, with your husband after divorce, depends on the terms of the plan. Many plans don't allow ex spouses to be covered under the same plan as the employee-spouse. If you can not be on the same plan with your ex spouse, you will be entitled to up to 36 months of COBRA insurance. This means you will get the exact same benefits from the exact same company---but you will be on your own COBRA plan. The difference is that your ex's employer will not pay part of the monthly premium. You will have to be responsible for the entire cost of the plan. You can ask the court to order that your husband pay that cost as part of the divorce though.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Would you please rate me highly now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

LawTalk and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions