Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have an order in place from the Family Court Judge which

states my daughter is not...
I have an order in place from the Family Court Judge which states my daughter is not to be left unsupervised with her 18 year old step brother.
I found out that recently the Mother allowed the brother, unsupervised, to pick up my daughter from school, and drive her home unsupervised.

Can I treat this like a restraining order and go to the police and request a temp change to have my daughter placed in my custody due to the violation? Or is this still treated as a Civil Order and I must bring it to the attention of the Family Court Judge?

We are actually near the end of a custody evaluation with a Psychologist. Would the Judge even entertain this or wait to see what the Psychologist says in his report. Which still could be a couple weeks away.

Thank you.
10/1/2012
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

I am very sorry for your situation.

I am sorry to state that this would have to be brought to the attention of the family court judge. Unless the child is in immediate danger, then the police are really not going to do anything. Ergo, this is more of a contempt motion matter.

If there are already orders in place for the child not to be left unsupervised, then this order may be upheld via contempt without the need for the psychologist to give their insight. The Court should enforce any order it has via a show cause motion.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law