How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in nj can i go after the women who had an affair with my husband

This answer was rated:

in nj can i go after the women who had an affair with my husband - she knew he was married.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is FiveStarLaw. Although I am a lawyer, my answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

I will do my best to provide you with helpful information. If the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You are referring to the heart balm action of alienation of affection. Unfortunately the state of New Jersey does not recognize heart balm actions.

Criminal conversation, alienation of affection and seduction are not actionable in New Jersey. Only Illinois, Hawaii, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota and Utah recognize these actions.

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so legally there is nothing at all that I can proceed legally with. Not one statue...ANYTHING I would like to ruffle her feathers

Unfortunately, unlike some states, adultery is not a crime in New Jersey.It is merely a ground for divorce.

I wish that there was a statute that would be helpful to you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can any forms of harassment be put on her if my husband has communicated to her to leave him alone and she continually calls - she even rented a second home around the block from us to be near him

These facts change the situation entirely

It appears that the women may be guilty of stalking under New Jersey's Statute 2C:12–10. You can read a description of the application the stalking law at this link:

If you would take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work, I would appreciate it. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the women who had the affair with my husband resides in ny, does that change anything or give me any grounds via ny laws

Unfortunately it does not alter my answer