How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102504
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to file for a divorce. We have no property,bank account

This answer was rated:

I need to file for a divorce. We have no property,bank account or children together. How much will it cost me to get a divorce and how can I find someone to help me complete the paperwork?
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

I am very sorry for your situation. Is your soon-to-be-ex in agreement with the divorce and no alimony issue, i.e. is the divorce uncontested?

Also, JustAnswer experts cannot take customers on as clients. I can however help you find somebody. Would this be acceptable?

This not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. However, I don't where he is stationed at this time. We don't have any children.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX apologies for the wait. Are you stating that you cannot find him? Or, he will sign off on any paperwork you file? What is the situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The last time we spoke he told me to bring the papers and he will sign it. However, he refuse give me his home address.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I am working on your answer now, apologies for the momentary wait.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you know of any paralegal service in Hollywood, Florida,where that can help me with the filing process?

Okay, we will assume that he will sign off on any paper you give him. If this is true, then you do not need to serve him, but simply have him file a waiver of service that you then file with the court along with the petition. In other words, if all parties are in agreement, then there is no need to SERVE summons on someone if they are simply willing to sign off, right?

Waiting Time
Florida law requires that all applicants for divorce wait 20 days after filing their initial papers in order to obtain a legal divorce. But if he signs off on everything, you can file and in 20 days of filing, have the matter heard.

You must file this paperwork with the Clerk of court of your county of your place of residence. For example, if you lived in Green County, you would need to file with the Green County Clerk of court's Office. Look up your county online - nearly all counties have filing information on their websites. You may also call the county's clerk of court office to get further information. It is recommended to call ahead to make sure you are filing at the right address. You may either send the divorce petition by mail, or walk into the office to file. It is strongly recommended to file in person, since you can then make sure the filing is correct.

If filing by hand, bring three copies to the county clerk of court's filing window. Again, check with the county clerk of court's office to find out where the filing window is located. A clerk will take your copies, typically one or two of them, and stamp the third and give it back to you as proof of filing. You will also be asked to pay a filing fee - typically anywhere from $200 to $300, depending on your county. If you are sending it by postal mail, send three identical copies of the petition, a filing fee (call ahead to find out what it is), and a self-addressed and pre-stamped envelope with your address so the clerk of court can send you a stamped copy back. Include a one sheet cover letter on top of the petition copies to explain that you are filing.

Along with the petition, you’d also be filing a waiver of service.

Once it has been 20 days, call the clerk of the court that you have been assigned, and ask when the uncontested docket it. Then you go on that docket and give the Judge a copy of the divorce decree (pre-prepared) that the Judge would sign.

You can actually find the forms online:


Filing these normally comes with HELP from the site itself, so you would not need to utilize an attorney or a paralegal. Please do look at them. Remember, you also need a waiver of service and suit from him - most sites should also have this.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you