How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The mother of my grandchildren has recently decided not to

This answer was rated:

The mother of my grandchildren has recently decided not to let me see them. It has been six weeks since I've seen them. My son,the father, and their mother were never married. I have been very involved with the lives of both of the kids lives until recently. My grand daughter lived with me for six months when she was two years old. I have been asked by their mother to take both of them to doctor and dentist appointments numourous times,which I was more than happy to do. They were both able to spend the night with me everytime their mother asked me to keep them. She now refuses to let me see them at all. Do I have any rights as far as doing something to be able to see them? She is also not letting them see their father,my son.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is FiveStarLaw. Although I am a lawyer, my answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

I will do my best to provide you with helpful information. If the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

To assist me in answering your question, please tell me:
1. Is your son listed as the father on the children's birth certificate?
2. Is there a court ordered parenting plan?
3. Has there been any court intervention at all – child support, paternity?
4. What are the ages of your grandchildren?
5. What is the mother's stated reason?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes,my son is listed as the father on both children's birth certificate.

There is no court ordered parenting plan.


My son pays child support.


My grand daughter,Adyson,is 5. Rylin my grandson is 3.


She has not indicated any reason,other than I stood up for my son when she decided not to let him see his children.

Thank you for your information

In a situation where the grandparents' child is available for visitation or custody of a child, the court will not typically order a separate visitation for the grandparent.

What does this mean in your situation? Since your son is available for visitation or custody of his children, the court will not typically grant a separate visitation order to you as a grandparent. Instead your son must petition the court for a court-ordered parenting plan. The parenting plan can include a shared custody or visitation schedule. You can then have visitation with your grandchildren during your son's parenting time

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information.
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions