How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12366
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I were divorced in 1985. There was a court

This answer was rated:

My husband and I were divorced in 1985. There was a court order that provided me with 10% of his retirement, and 1/2 of his "Thrift Savings Plan". He is now ready to retire. Since that time my exhusband's employment has remained at the same job; however, the company has changed ownership twice. My half of his "Thrift" was from the time we were married in 1972 through 1983, and the 10% retirement is labeled in the settlement as the original company. There is no mention of what would happen if the company was bought out. My question is simple, is the legal court order still valid even though the company has changed hands twice and does the retirement order cover the change in companies? What must I do to begin this process?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Yes, the court order is still valid regardless of the fact that ownership has changed hands a couple of times, and the order does cover the change in companies. In order to get the funds, you should send the order to the HR in the company and ask if they would like for you to fill out any forms in order to begin receiving your portion of the retirement.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!
TJ, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi again. I just want to clarify one point. When I wrote to send the "order," I meant the qualified domestic relations order (QDRO).