How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am divorcing my husband. he was to get an apartment; but

Customer Question

i am divorcing my husband. he was to get an apartment; but now refuses to. do i give up rights to marital propert ( my house) if i move into apartment? i'm a little concerned for safety, but mostly its to escape the uncomfortable climate.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Have you filed for a divorce yet?

Are you represented by an attorney?

Did you buy the house during the marriage and do you both own it now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
haven't filed or retained counsel, yet. how was acquired during marriage with proceeds of my previous home providing down payment. home is in both names.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Just because you choose to move out of the marital home, you would not be generally giving up any rights that you have under the law to the marital home.

With this said, I would strongly encourage for you to consult with an experienced local divorce attorney who can review your entire situation, documents and facts and can represent you in the divorce and can also come up with a legal strategy to better protect your legal rights in the divorce proceedings.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any related follow up questions for me?