How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Law Answers Your Own Question
Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1267
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Family Law Answers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Change in FL child custody laws? I understand that sometime

Resolved Question:

Change in FL child custody laws?

I understand that sometime over the last 2 years, Florida changed its child custody laws
to focus more on joint custody of both parents. Much of the terminology has changed as well to reflect a more total parenting effort of both parents. For example, using the words "parenting time" instead of visitation.

I have sole custody of my child that was awarded in Texas 7 years ago. It has been in effect since my child was 1 years old. So I am the custodial parent. Child lives with me and I am the sole one to make decisions regarding my best interest, schooling, medical etc. My ex has Tx standard visitations. I recently relocated to Florida for employment reasons.

Does these new laws apply to new cases or can sole custody court orders that has already been established for years now be challenged and changed?

If my child's father file for joint custody in Fl, does that means that there is a chance that he will get it even though there has been a sole custody court order in place for 5 years from Tx?

Of note: during the past 5 years, there have been 3 protection orders against child father for family violence against me, 1 restraining order and he was put on 2 years probation for violation those orders. We use a court ordered supervised exchange program so that he does not come into contact with me when I drop off our child for visits with him.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 5 years ago.

Family Law Answers : Hello and thanks for contacting Just Answer.
Family Law Answers : Despite this change in law, the same standard must be shown to modify a custody/visitation order. Your ex would need to show that there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances since the custody order issued that justifies a modification of the custody order, and that a modification is in the best interest of the child. It is a difficult burden to bear - the courts do not easily modify custody orders.
Family Law Answers : I hope that this has answered your question. If so, please provide me with a positive rating - if not, please let me know how I can clarify. Thanks very much and I wish you the best here.
Family Law Answers and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.