lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

I have been care giving for my Dad for about 8 months. I quit

I have been care giving for my Dad for about 8 months. I quit my full time job to take care of him for a considerable loss of income. He provide us with about $3,000 a month which includes his rent (he is living with us). He has about $50,000 in an investment. If he had to go to a nursing home in the near future, would he qualify for medi-cal. Is there a looking back period, where they would say he's disqualified because of paying me to take care of him?
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

He would not qualify for MediCal until the 50K is spent down. There is no problem with paying you to take care of him and 3K a month is certainly reasonable since a nursing home is around 7K. However, you should have a written contract with him as to the rent including food, etc and how much you are charging him. I would suggest that you go to your local MediCal officer and obtain all the information on eligibillty and how the money can properly be spent for his needs without preventing him from being eilgible. You may also want to start interviewing nursing homes since MediCal beds are limited.