How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been care giving for my Dad for about 8 months. I quit

This answer was rated:

I have been care giving for my Dad for about 8 months. I quit my full time job to take care of him for a considerable loss of income. He provide us with about $3,000 a month which includes his rent (he is living with us). He has about $50,000 in an investment. If he had to go to a nursing home in the near future, would he qualify for medi-cal. Is there a looking back period, where they would say he's disqualified because of paying me to take care of him?
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

He would not qualify for MediCal until the 50K is spent down. There is no problem with paying you to take care of him and 3K a month is certainly reasonable since a nursing home is around 7K. However, you should have a written contract with him as to the rent including food, etc and how much you are charging him. I would suggest that you go to your local MediCal officer and obtain all the information on eligibillty and how the money can properly be spent for his needs without preventing him from being eilgible. You may also want to start interviewing nursing homes since MediCal beds are limited.
lwpat and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you