Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

What steps are needed to file custody of a grandchild? Both

Customer Question

What steps are needed to file custody of a grandchild? Both parents use drugs, do not work, and are irresponible. Where do I start?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Question:

Response: You need to Petition for Guardianship of the Minor. You need to tell the Court the reason for the Guardianship just like you did in your narrative here but in detail. If your Petition is approved, you have legal custody o your grandchild.

The Petition for Guardianship must be filed at the Courthouse in the County where your grandchild current resides with his parents. The forms for applying for the Guardianship are available online. The forms have instructions on how to complete them. Read and follow the instructions very carefully.
Here is the link to the forms (Establishing Guardianship / Conservatorship (Minor) Forms):

http://www.mncourts.gov/default.aspx?page=513&category=167#category25

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you for the info.

You are quite Welcome!

Goodluck with your case,