Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

at what age can a child stay overnight alone in delaware

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/2/2012
Family Lawyer: lwpat, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

There is no set age by statute. Each case would be evaluated on the particular circumstances. For example, is there an adult that is checking on the child or immediately available, such as a neighbor. If something should happen, the parent is opening themselves up to a charge of child endangerment by child protective services. Generally a child under 10 is not old enough to stay by themselves and a child over 12 may be and a child over 14 is old enough. However, there are no statutes that set out these certain ages.
I hoped my answer helped. If I have fully answered your question, please rate my service. If you need more assistance, please let me know.
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer