How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert Your Own Question
Robert, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  I am a licensed Attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Robert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 17 year old girl, pregnant and will be turning 18 in

This answer was rated:

I am a 17 year old girl, pregnant and will be turning 18 in 4 1/2 months. I have a question. My mother isn't making things easy. My mom wants to keep my brofiend and i apart but we love each other and he wants to be with me and the baby and help me. But my mom won't allow that. What should i do?
Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer! I'm sorry your mother is trying to keep the two of you apart.

As a minor you are under the supervision of your mother until you reach the age of majority (18 in Arizona) or you are otherwise emancipated. It would probably be easier for you to simply wait until you turn 18 (since you may not even get an emancipation hearing for potentially 3 months) and then move with your boyfriend if you so choose, rather than seek emancipation so close to turning 18. However, if you choose to seek emancipation (early adulthood) then the following information will be useful to you.

You can become emancipated in Arizona if the following conditions are true:

1. The minor is at least sixteen years of age.

2. The minor is a resident of this state.

3. The minor is financially self-sufficient.

4. The minor acknowledges in writing that the minor has read and understands information that is provided by the court and that explains the rights and obligations of an emancipated minor and the potential risks and consequences of emancipation.

5. The minor is not a ward of the court and is not in the care, custody and control of a state agency.

You can access the rest of the above statute at the following link (it contains what must be included in the petition for emancipation):

The Judge will also take into account the best interest of the minor. The following link contains the Arizona statute related to the best interest of the minor for emancipation purposes:

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best. Please let me know if you need me to further clarify my answer and I will do my best to so clarify.

Thank you,


While of course not required, a bonus is greatly appreciated if I have been particularly helpful. To request my assistance again in the future, please go to the following link and enter your question on my profile page:

Robert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions