How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Going through divorce. My wife has taken out 500 per week every

Customer Question

Going through divorce. My wife has taken out 500 per week every week for past \25 years. Ye says she has no funds. How can I find out if she has a bank account estabished somewhere?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Where was divorce filed?

Did you and your wife provide each other with financial disclosures yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Divorce was filed in Tx. Fin Disclosures were not provided yet, but I am quite sure when she files hers, she will say she has nothing.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Dear JT,

Thank you for your follow up.

During the divorce, you would be entitled to demand for your wife to produce all of her financial documents/statement for the last two years.

Unfortunately, if you wish to obtain your wife's records for the time beyond the last two years prior to filing of the divorce, you would need to file a motion with the court and cite reasons for the extended discovery request and the court will review your argument and will decide whether to order your wife to produce the financial records beyond the last two years.

Also, if you think your wife has money hidden away somewhere, you can hire forensic CPA, who can audit all of her last two years financial records and determine whether there are evidence that your wife i living beyond her means, thus indicating that she might be hiding some assets/money.

Unfortunately, if your wife simply took money for the last 25 years and safely stashed away the cash somewhere or simply had spend it or given it away to someone, it might be very difficult to find hidden cash and also if the wife simply spent/wasted money during the time beyond the last two years, she would not have to account for the money already spent.

I would strongly suggest that you do consult and retain local Texas divorce attorney who can represent you in this divorce proceedings and also can help you hire the right forensic CPA to help you with an audit of your wife's financial situation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Demanding production of docs, or even filing a motion with the court only goes as far as the person is willing to take it. Lie or not to lie.

Is ther not a way to do a social security # search in some way to see if additional bank accounts were opend up? Or something similar?

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Dear JT,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out about your wife's bank's accounts that she might refuse to disclose if for your attorney to send subpoenas to each individual bank where you suspect your wife might be hiding money.

Once the financial institutions receive a subpoena, they will have to turn over any financial records that belong to your wife.

Also, your attorney can depose your wife under oath about her assets and if she lies and it is later proved that she lied under oath, she might face a criminal charge of perjury.