How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Due to unemployment, I was forced to dip into my IRA to support

This answer was rated:

Due to unemployment, I was forced to dip into my IRA to support myself. My ex wants to reduce child support. Is the money I took out of my IRA counted as income for me when calculating child support?

Normally the following is used to calculate the basis for child support:


(3) "Actual income" includes:
(i) salaries;
(ii) wages;
(iii) commissions;
(iv) bonuses;
(v) dividend income;
(vi) pension income;
(vii) interest income;
(viii) trust income;
(ix) annuity income;
(x) Social Security benefits;
(xi) workers' compensation benefits;
(xii) unemployment insurance benefits;
(xiii) disability insurance benefits;
(xiv) alimony or maintenance received;


Withdrawals from an IRA are typically not considered income. The IRA is money that was deposited from the income sources above and would have already been considered.


Please rate the advice you've received today (at least 3 or higher) so that I receive credit for helping you/answering your question. Need more help? Reply below with more questions

Jack R. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you