How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33777
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If shared parenting is in effect, does a 14 year old child,

This answer was rated:

If shared parenting is in effect, does a 14 year old child, in the state of Ohio, have the legal right to deny visitation with the non-custodial parent?
No, as a legal matter a 14 year old doesn't get to decide if they want visitation. To do that the parties would have to go back to court and get a court order from the judge specifically allowing the child to make the decision.

At 14 the child is allowed to make their wishes known to the judge and the judge is obligated to consider them, but the judge DOES NOT have to follow them.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
JD 1992 and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am totally satisfied with my answer. Thank you very much. However, I am not finding a way to print this information. Can you send a copy of this to my e-mail so I can print it? [email protected] Again, thank you so much for the information. Well worth the $40.00.

I will let Customer Service know you are having a problem printing this. If you would, please leave a positive rating first because when I send it to the moderators it locks the question up for an extended period of time and can cause it to time out. As soon as I get notice that you left the rating I will notify them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi JD1992 - Yes I did leave you both a feedback and a rating.

Sorry, but my computer crashed and need to use this one, in case you don't recognize the "user" right away.

Anyway, thank you very much. Truly helpful, now the dilemna on how to get the 14 year old to comply without pressing unruly child charges against him. He really is in a bad situation and will only get worse (as her three other children did) if he continues on the path he's going. He is in counceling and as yet he believes it to be a waste of time, however, we're guessing it's because the councelor is telling him what he doesn't want to hear. Anyway, that's another step. You have helped tremendously and we thank you for that.

But you've opened a few option doors for now and I really appreciate that. In case you didn't get my rating - it's >10 for sure.

Thank you again.

Thanks very much. Much appreciated!