Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was ordered to pay child support and had my disability benefits

garnished until after my 3rd...
I was ordered to pay child support and had my disability benefits garnished until after my 3rd request for a hearing they did a modification and found that not only was I paying almost 300 more than the state guidelines, but that due to Weaks vs. Weaks in Mo supreme court since my new child support amount was less than they received from dependant disability benefits.I owed nothing at all, I have repeatedly requested a full financial accounting of my child support case but am ignored when I ask to speak with anyone who can make this right. They took almost 4,000 of my back disability payment along with paying the back dependant desability benefits and I have been told that if I can show documentation that the disability was instated prior to the child support order they would have to refund the money they wrongly took. That obviously is not a problem, yet they ignore my letters and calls. Who is in charge of Child Support? Who ensures that things are made right when they refuse to acknowledge their own mistakes? What do I do to get my money back?
9/1/2012
The problem with the child support enforcement office is that they are supervised only by the prosecutor's office and they are generally no help at all in returning money or reducing support. For any return of money or reduction people have to file a motion in court for the accounting and refund from them and the court is the one that orders them to make the refund. Thus, you need to find a motion for reimbursement and accounting from them and ask the court to order them to refund any overpayments taken from you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Dear Sir,

What court do I file the motion in? Civil,probate,administrative? And where can I find out exactly how to prepare this motion properly? I'm afraid they have to be just so, sending the motion in the form of a letter would be akin to appearing for an arriagnment in flip flops, tube top and a nose ring. Needless to say highly inadvisable, although sadly quite common.Thank you for your time, Stephanie

You file the motion in Family court . Sending a motion in form of a letter is certainly not proper and astute of you to understand. You can get a format for a general motion at the court self help desk or in the court library by asking the librarian for the form books. Your motion here is really not a standard type motion, since you are looking for reimbursement of overpayment of child support and you are going to have to cite your case law in the motion supporting why you are entitled to the reimbursement of the money together with your evidence of how much you are entitled to.

We cannot provide actual copies of motions here because of issues with copyright laws I am afraid.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer