How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My first name on my birth certificate is wrong.I have used

This answer was rated:

My first name on my birth certificate is wrong.I have used another name all my life.How do I change it?

Hello there.


You have to go to the family court in your county and speak to someone in the clerk's office there. They have name change forms that you can get from the clerk's office and you complete the name change form and submit it for a hearing in front of a Judge. So long as the reason you want to change the name legally is not for any fraudulent purposes, the court should not have a problem approving your name change and issuing a court order with your new name on the court order. Then when you apply for a passport again you need to enclose a certified copy of the name change court order along with all of the other required items to get a passport (fee, picture, application) and there should be no further issues with getting a passport in the name of the court ordered name.


Please let me know if you have further questions.




Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below. THANK YOU !!!

Legalease and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you