How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im divorced with sole physical custody. If I marry my partner

Customer Question

I'm divorced with sole physical custody. If I marry my partner who lives in another state right now, would a court allow me to relocate?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. I understand that you have sole physical custody; does the other parent have visitation rights? If so, to what extent?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


My ex currently has visitation every other weekend and for 2 hours one day during the week. I believe that is around 12%

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
"Out of state" can be on the other side of town, or it can be thousands of miles away. Approximately how far is the desired relocation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about 1000 miles +/-

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
It really comes down to the best interest of the child. Sole custody does not give a parent the right to move away if it interferes with the other parent's visitation rights, so a new order has to be awarded based on the change in circumstances before the child may be relocated. Certainly, the fact that the child is in your care 88% of the time and that you have a need to move is very legally significant, but every situation is different because every child is different. So it is not a question of how much custody you have or your reasons for moving; the question is how your child will be affected by relocating and being 1000+ miles away from his father, and any consequences of not moving. So what are your thoughts? Would this benefit your child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

child was previously abused by ex and ex was ordered to seek help . New spouse treats children well and provides a solid family environment.The new location provides a lower cost of living as well given my childs special dietary needs.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Those are all good reasons! What is the counter-argument? Why might it make sense for the relocation to be denied?

Related Family Law Questions