Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Im divorced with sole physical custody. If I marry my partner

Customer Question
I'm divorced with sole physical...
I'm divorced with sole physical custody. If I marry my partner who lives in another state right now, would a court allow me to relocate?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Brandon M., Family Law Attorney replied 5 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. I understand that you have sole physical custody; does the other parent have visitation rights? If so, to what extent?

Hello;

My ex currently has visitation every other weekend and for 2 hours one day during the week. I believe that is around 12%

"Out of state" can be on the other side of town, or it can be thousands of miles away. Approximately how far is the desired relocation?

about 1000 miles +/-

It really comes down to the best interest of the child. Sole custody does not give a parent the right to move away if it interferes with the other parent's visitation rights, so a new order has to be awarded based on the change in circumstances before the child may be relocated. Certainly, the fact that the child is in your care 88% of the time and that you have a need to move is very legally significant, but every situation is different because every child is different. So it is not a question of how much custody you have or your reasons for moving; the question is how your child will be affected by relocating and being 1000+ miles away from his father, and any consequences of not moving. So what are your thoughts? Would this benefit your child?

child was previously abused by ex and ex was ordered to seek help . New spouse treats children well and provides a solid family environment.The new location provides a lower cost of living as well given my childs special dietary needs.

Those are all good reasons! What is the counter-argument? Why might it make sense for the relocation to be denied?
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney