How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from Oregon and trying to understand the laws about Alimony

This answer was rated:

I am from Oregon and trying to understand the laws about Alimony modification. My ex-wife recently was married and this is 7 years after our divorce, we agreed on 433.00 a month because she would struggle being a stay at home mother and not having work history. the agreement in the court judgement was for this amount for 20 years but I was assuming her being single, does her getting married change this even though nothing was stated in the judgement except 433.00 for twenty years no conditions?

A subsequent marriage would definitely be substantial enough to warrant a modification of alimony. Generally, your order was for 20 years. But even permanent alimony can be modified if the needs or resources of the parties changes dramatically. Usually, a subsequent marriage would end your alimony obligation.


There is no hard and fast rule, but absent some very unusual circumstances, it is almost certain that your alimony would be reduced

or terminated in this case.


That said, you will have to file a petition to modify or terminate. It doesn't happen automatically.

JPEsq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you