Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I have a friend who was married for over 25 years and divorced

I have a friend who was married for over 25 years and divorced in the state of Connecticut. As part of the divorce he was to pay Spousal Support for a period of several years, though he paid a portion of the money owed, he left the country and did not meet his obligations. He is now back in the state of CT, over 10 years later. Is he bound by that original agreement, can his ex-wife go after him for non-payment? He says it is a bad debt and beyond the statute of limitations, so he does not owe her anything. I say he had a court order and did not abide by the judges ruling and if she pursues it, he could be in trouble for nonpayment, interest, and she could enforce the remainder of the payments. She has contacted him via email, requesting money. Which is true, is there a statute of limitations in which he is no longer responsible?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

Customer:

thank-you

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation. He is flat out lying to your friend - he is absolutely responsible. An unpaid child support obligation does not "expire" and there is no statute of limitations.

Customer:

Spousal Support, or is it the same?

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry, I meant to say spousal support.

SoloLawyer :

She will need to speak to a local support enforcement agency and get a ruling from the court on the amount that he owes. The court can garnish his wages or do any number of things to collect the back support.

Customer:

Wow, they can garnish his wages - so he will have to be responsible or she can repetition the court, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

SoloLawyer :

Yes, they have many collection techniques at their disposal. They are, after all, the STATE. :)

Customer:

Hope he has to pay interest, thank-you

SoloLawyer :

As far as I know, he should owe interest as well.