Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am confused on what the child support should be covering

for my child... Should the support...
I am confused on what the child support should be covering for my child...

Should the support cover school lunches, school supplies, dance classes and extra activities?
8/13/2012
Michael J, Esq.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

Child support should be used for the benefit of the child. All of those things sounds like benefits to the child, so the answer is "Yes" to your question.

Customer:

But how is a single mother suppose to afford paying for all of those things when she is only getting $250 a month from the father? I was under the assumption that some of those things should be paid 50/50 by both parents above and beyond the child support?

SoloLawyer :

Did the court order for the Father to pay anything other than the $250 a month?

Customer:

no I do not believe so but that is where i am confused on what the support payments should be for. I know they are for taking care of my child but I thought I was told that school stuff and those other things as she got older should be split but i don't see that anywhere in my papers

SoloLawyer :

Yes, most of the times the Judge will include that in the divorce decree. If you had an attorney, they did a very poor job if they did not include that, because the Father is only obligated as to what is in the decree.

Customer:

ok so if i am going back for a review for child support because he used to hold the insurance for my daughter and now does not, is that something that can be added into the decree as she grows older and gets involed in more stuff? There is money taken out of support for my portion of her insurance that is now not current...I now hold the insurance.

SoloLawyer :

Yes, he should provide 50% of extracurricular activities, medical treatment, dental treatment, and anything else "extra" that you can think of.

Customer:

ok. my papers state he has to pay 50% of the medical and dental but i think that is all it says!

SoloLawyer :

Okay, well that's good. School lunches and supplies falls into "normal" support. You should specifically ask for each extracurricular activity, i.e., dance classes, sports, etc.

Customer:

Ok. that makes sense. He is paying half of the dance class right now but I wanted to be sure about all of the rest since he doesn't have her much and I don't get much child support since he has other children that were born before my daughter was.

SoloLawyer :

Okay great. If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer