Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

If my husband passes away ( in the state of FL) and we have

If my husband passes away ( in the state of FL) and we have a blended family do I by law have to give each of my husbands children 20% of his life insurance policy ? Even if he has a will he wrote out with specific instructions as to how much he wants to give them already? And if so is it 20% total for all the kids to share equally and split between them or 20% for each individual child to receive from the sum total of the life insurance? Do I have to by law share our personal assets such our house cars bank account saving etc. with them as will - i.e. meaning if this 20% law is true what does the 20% due to them specifically entail just life insurance or both life insurance and personal assets as well ? Does this law stand if we have a will already and override what he has specified if it is less or does it only apply if there is NO will at all? thanks :)

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

Who is the beneficiary of the life insurance policy?

Customer:

I am to my knowledge.

SoloLawyer : The life insurance policy immediately passes to the beneficiary upon death, keeping that account "outside" of probate. That means you can do with the money as you wish.