How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3461
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Note: Please do NOT put me in Chat format! I have a 5 year

This answer was rated:

Note: Please do NOT put me in Chat format! I have a 5 year old with a man I am not married to. We have not had a good co-parenting relationship since I married and moved from PA (where my son's father lives) to New Hampshire. We ended up in court to fight for jurisdiction and a visitation schedule. It was ordered that jurisdiction would be where the child resided, which was in NH up until May of 2012. The order also read that my son's father would have his son for a long weekend every month, thursday to monday. This case is very long and sordid but I need to know if the "current order" would still be in effect if I was now living in PA and could my son's father challenge the jurisdiction? My son's father wrote up an "agreement" before I came to PA and I signed it. By signing this below, is this "agreement" enforceable? Can he take my son from me? We never did anything in a PA court andI thought we had taken care of everthing in NH, ie. closed out that case. I received a letter today saying I have to appear in court in NH on Sept 10 for a status conference. I no longer have a lawyer because when I came to PA, he withdrew from the case. My son's father is planning on taking him on a vacation to CA on saturday and I am afraid he will not be coming back. What do I do to ensure I have the law on my side just in case?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

We're in chat by default, but I'll switch to Q&A right now.

I'm not sure if I understand, but let me see if I do. You have a current custody/visitation order issued by the Court, but your ex had you sign an out of court agreement more recently which would allow him to take your son. Is that correct?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, correct. He has done this many times before with my being in New Hampshire to get me to come to PA and now that I have come here and have no lawyer, I am afraid he is now trying to take my son away from me. He has actually taken him twice before an failed to return him without any penalty. This is one of the reasons I finally left the state of NH. No matter what I presented to the court, and the has been some really awful stuff on his part, the Marital Master has taken his side. Is the current order valid even though we are not in NH? Can his hand-written agreement hold in the state of PA?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Thank you for your response.

The current order is valid. It doesn't matter where you actually live. His hand-written agreement will not hold up in the state of PA. All agreements and modifications MUST be made through the court to be binding.

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for getting back to me. You have eased my mind considerably.
No problem!

I hope it works out and hope I was helpful!

Michael J, Esq. and 9 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions