JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Experience:  I've been in practice for 30+ years, concentrating in family and employment law. I enjoy helping people.
64048581

I was born in Washington State in 1959. In 1972 (aprox) my

Customer Question

I was born in Washington State in 1959. In 1972 (aprox) my step dad adopted me in Idaho. Several years later he and my mother divorced and he disowned me. I have legally changed my name back to my birth name but now as I am applying for a pass port I will need to list the step dad and my father. I hole hardheadedly do not want to idenify myself that way and can not seem to figure out how to get a copy of my original birth certificate. My biological dad is dead as is my step dad.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JackJD replied 5 years ago.

JackJD :

Hello, my name is Jack, and I'll answer your question.

JackJD :

Many states have laws allowing access to adoption records.
Washington State has a process for gaining access to adoption information and the original birth certificate. It looks like a complicated process when I just scanned it.

JackJD :

There is not a centralized registry. For adoptions prior to 1992 (that's you) and persons now over 21 (also you), you have to go through a middle-man who would check to see if any living parents object to your seeing the records. (That wouldn't be a problem in your case.)

Rather than me repeating the whole thing, perhaps you could go to www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/Publications/22-704.pdf

If you still have questions, please come back with a follow up.

JACUSTOMER-db49s5tj- :

This is not a matter of a "secret" adoption. I was 13 years old and my step dad adopted me. I believe it was so he could carry me on his medical insurance. Anyway that is what my dad and I were told at the time. I know who my dad is but need a certified birth certificate

JackJD :

Yes, I understand that. Do you know what agency issued the original birth certificate? If not, that's the point of chasing all this down ... to find out where it is.

If you already know the agency, have you had a problem with it?

JACUSTOMER-db49s5tj- :

The hospital where I was born?

JackJD :

I believe that it would be the county bureau of vital statistics, in the county where the hospital was located. Have you already tried there?