How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a grandmother who has raised and supported my 9 year old since she has been born, her f

This answer was rated:

As a grandmother who has raised and supported my 9 year old since she has been born, her father is across the country and has sporadically sent child support and has only spent 2 hours with her in total. Her mother, my daughter who has lived with me and I have supported also, has left her daughter with me and I don't know where she is. My granddaughter is safe with me and wants to live with me, do I have a right to 3rd party custody of her?
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

There appears to be no question but what a court would award you custody of the child based on the abandonment by the parents. You can file a petition in the family court in your county. You would have to serve the father and make a diligent effort to find and serve the mother. If she cannot be found, you could serve her by publication and the court can give you those requirements. Good luck to you and to your granddaughter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. My concern is in contacting the father, since he has been paying child support off and on through my granddaughter's life, would he stand a good chance to get custody of her even though he has only spent 2 hours with her and has far as I know does not try to contact her? Her mother may have been in contact with him I do not know. I'm the only true parent she has ever known, I guess that's a chance I will take if I file the petition to get custody. Is there any additional proof I would need to help my cause?
I don't see that the father would have any chance of obtaining custody and it does not appear that he has any interest in obtaining custody.
lwpat and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you