How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27256
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can childsupport still be obtained if the person starts collecting

This answer was rated:

Can childsupport still be obtained if the person starts collecting unemployment

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I would be happy to answer your question. Child support payments DO NOT automatically stop, if a person becomes unemployed and starts collecting unemployment. The obligation to make the payments WOULD continue. They can only be suspended or reduced, if the party seeking it, files a petition with the court, asking for this to happen. The decision would then be up to the Judge, to allow it. Even if granted, they would still owe the total amount but just have more time to pay it. If they do not do so though the court, the amount would still be owed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

FamilyAnswer and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you