Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

My sons girlfriend the mother of my grandaughter is planning

Customer Question

Hi, my sons girlfriend the mother of my grandaughter is planning on taking her out of state to Illinois shes says to go to a funeral???? she also has a 13 year old son and a 10 year old that she shares custody of that she has tues. to friday. If she goes out of state without asking my son to be watching him because he has to go to work is this neglect or abandonment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Are you saying that she is planning on leaving the 13 and 10 year old at home by themselves for an extended period of time with no supervision?

JACUSTOMER-56ex7l85- :

She will only have the 13 year old that is there all the time.But she is only my grandaughter who is 3.

JACUSTOMER-56ex7l85- :

I don't know if she assumes my son is responsible because she will be gone my son loves him but what is his responseability?

SoloLawyer :

Thank you.

SoloLawyer :

Do they live together?

JACUSTOMER-56ex7l85- :

yes but she is leaving at some point because they are done. The boy is not my sons only my grandaughter.

JACUSTOMER-56ex7l85- :

Yes but she is leaving at some point because the relationship is done. This why we are questioning this funeral because I don't think she knows this person she has a friend on the computer in Georigia that she calls her sister and it's a friend of hers that died. In Illinois they were coming to get her on a motorcyle then she said shes allowed to bring one kid so they are coming Mon or Tues in a car.

SoloLawyer :

Your son doesn't have any legal obligation to care for the daughter, but obviously if he is living at the home and the girlfriend is leaving town, he will be the one tasked with taking care of the child while she is away.

JACUSTOMER-56ex7l85- :

He owns the house the daughter is his not the 13year old he is her oldest child they all have different fathers she don't know where this boys father is the middle boys dad an she split custody.

JACUSTOMER-56ex7l85- :

He owns the house she and the 13 year old live there, she and the middle boys split custody she does not know where the oldest boys father is. They all have different fathers my son being the father to the 3 year old.