Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Goodmorning, I was called by my daughter with a severe issue

Customer Question
Goodmorning, I was called...
Goodmorning, I was called by my daughter with a severe issue concerning her with her 11 year old son/my grandson. About a year ago he started to display inappropriate sexual behavior to his brothers. My daughter and husband sought help thru counseling. They were told to provide the oldest with his own room, that he is reaching the age of puberty, which she had done, plus the counselor gave them a booklet to assist them in talking to all the boys. How to tell soneome when being touched, talked to the oldest on what it was that he did was wrong and why. Now a year later he was caught again. I fear that his behavior never changed and fear most that there has been other incidents. We are presently looking for a way to remove him from the home and seek help. My concern is I have seen a child go into the system and come back better. If anything the child's behavior is worst, for now he will be marked as a juvenile pedofile. In the meantime the safety of his brothers is now or main concern. Should we bring in the law enforcement or social services? Big fear here is if we don't then we run a risk in having all the kids removed from the home, which is not what we want. We are seeking help to protect the siblings and what genuine help is out there for him. My daughter and them kids live in Colorado and I live in Texas. We thought about me taking him, and then I could seek counseling for him, what I feel he needs is inpatient counseling. Please advise, are we wrong for not calling the police, and seeking help for my grandson?

Bonnie
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Michael J, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Michael J, Esq.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

It's really hard for me to tell you what you should do in this instance because I'm not "there" and familiar with the situation. The best interests of all the children should be your major concern. Is there any way to protect all minor parties without getting the authorities involved? Counseling sounds like a good first step in this instance, particularly because when children reach the age of puberty, they begin "exploring". It's hard to tell whether this falls outside the normal bounds by us talking over the Internet, but a counselor should be able to derive exactly what is happening.

SoloLawyer :

Another option would be to, as you said, remove the older child from the home for some time and let him live with another relative until things calm down or he gets over whatever he is going through. I would say calling social services/police over the issue at this point is probably premature. I would exhaust all internal family options before moving outside the family unit.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

JACUSTOMER-iz0vzwyk- :
SoloLawyer :

Are you there? Can you tell me why you rated poor service? I would ask that we finish up this conversation before you rate me. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.

SoloLawyer :

If you're having trouble with the chat, I can switch this to another format.

JACUSTOMER-iz0vzwyk- :

Mr. Solo, I was trying to chat with you and it wouldn't let me reply. I just got off the phone with the website customer service. Informed them that I rated you based on their confuseing site.

SoloLawyer :

That rating affects me directly, I would ask that you please retract it and let me assist you. :)

JACUSTOMER-iz0vzwyk- :

Which is by no means your fault, but wanted to get my moneys worth, and not ripped off.

JACUSTOMER-iz0vzwyk- :

Yes, I will, don't want to loose you in the process. Will change rating when satisfied. Yes? No?

SoloLawyer :

This thread was locked before but now seems to be open. Did you talk to customer service?

Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer