Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

"new" wife continues to compete with me for my grandchildrens and childr

"new" wife continues to...
"new" wife continues to compete with me for my grandchildren's and childrens's spouses attention. Mistakenly I have allowed my ex to bring his new wife of 20 years into our family gatherings---hoping that discreet would be shown. Yes, I have been stupid to expect this. Now, don't know how to handle with my own children. This "new woman" has and is making my life miserable. I want a normal life. Can you help with some answers? I have threatened my EX that I would file a ? suit against her for deliberately "edging in" between me and my special family memnbers.
8/1/2012
This is a terrible situation for certain, but legally, unless she is actually harassing you or threatening you, a court cannot issue any type of restraining order under Texas law. The Texas law requires for a restraining order to be issued, the party has to be harassing you directly or placing you in fear of physical violence from them. Thus, when you file for the restraining order you have to prove one of those two things.

There is no cause of action under the Texas law for "alienation of affection," (edging in between you and loved ones) I am afraid, so the Texas court would have to throw such a suit out. See: Texas Family Code § 1.107. ALIENATION OF AFFECTION NOT AUTHORIZED. A right of action by one spouse against a third party for alienation of affection is not authorized in this state. Thus, you could file suits, but legally the court could not grant you any relief in the form you are seeking I am very sorry to say.

The best course of action, if you cannot prove through evidence direct harassment to you or threats and fear of physical harm from her, is to talk to your loved ones and discuss your feelings with them and ask them to honor your feelings and to make it clear she is not invited to these events any longer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer