How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have power of atorney for my brother who pays child support

Customer Question

I have power of atorney for my brother who pays child support to Jonesboro AR-he recently suffered a massive stroke, heart attack and bypass surgery and is on short term disability and will likely be terminated before he can return to work. I need to request a reduction in child support on his behalf and also determine how to have a paternity test as paternity is highly questionable-he currently pays support and medical for twin 4 year olds.

Where do I start?

I'm in Boston, my brother is in rehab in upstate NY, and the case is in Arkansas
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

A power of attorney cannot represent someone in court. However, you can retain an attorney on his behalf to file in the Arkansas court for a DNA test to determine parentage and also for a reduction in the child support due to a substantial change of circumstances.
Any family law attorney in that county should be able to assist you. Here is a referral site

In order to represent someone in court, you would have to file in the probate court to be named as his guardian. Of course, he can draft and submit the petition to the court on his own but it does not appear that he is in any shape to do so.

I don't see any free standard forms for your situation
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Please remember to rate my service! If you feel unsatisfied with my service at all, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY tab with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Related Family Law Questions