How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have custody of my 2 and 1/2 year old daughter, but my ex

This answer was rated:

I have custody of my 2 and 1/2 year old daughter, but my ex wants to have joint custody and is taking me back to court. If agree to this what are the pros and cons? Will my child support go down? She will still be with me the majority of the time
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

Child support is agreed-upon by the parents, and if not, then the Court sets it using the default set of calculation which focuses on how much the parent makes, and does not take into consideration what percent the child will be with you. So even if he has more custody, he is still likely to pay the same child support.

-you may avoid an expensive court battle
-child support generally stays the same.
-in fact, you can barter him for more child support in an agreement not to fight him on widening visitation

-you may not want to allow him more visitation
-if you disagree, then you may face an expensive court battle
-once he has more time with the child, the court is less likely to reduce it unless/until you prove negligence/abuse on his part. So this may very well be standard until the age of majority.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you