Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I was born in Puerto Rico as Noemi Reyes. When I came to the

I was born in Puerto Rico as Noemi Reyes. When I came to the US and started K my name was somehow changed to Naomi. ( I guess the English version) I've always used the latter. Now I'm trying to get a birth certificate from the Dept. of Health in PR and they won't issue one because they say my name has to be legally changed to Naomi. My driver's license and my marriage certificate both have me as Naomi. How can I legally keep my name? Where do I go? Can you help me?
Thank You
Naomi
Because your birth certificate was issued in PR, in order to get your birth certificate changed, you would need to get a court order of name change through a petition to the NY Supreme Court Civil Division. You would then have to take that court order of name change to a court in PR to file a "petition to recognize foreign judgment" and have the PR court recognize the NY court name change order and ask the PR court to issue an order to modify your birth certificate to reflect the legal name change.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know that laws change from state to state but I have a friend with the exact same problem and she went to the municipal court and they changed her name on the spot in Virginia. Why do I have so much trouble?
NY provides that the NY Supreme Court civil division handles petitions for Adult Name Change. As you are a resident of NY, that is where you have to file your petition. Once the NY court orders the name change, to get the vital records division in PR to accept that name change order, you have to get the order recognized by the PR court and the PR court then issues the order to PR Vital Records to change the name on your birth certificate and issue a new one in your new name. The NY court can order your name changed legally, but then to get a birth certificate in that name the PR court has to tell PR Vital Records to do so, that is the legal process.

If your friend got the VA court to change her name that is fine, but if she wanted a new birth certificate in her new name and she was born somewhere other than VA, then the court where she was born has to recognize the VA court name change order for vital records to change the name on her birth certificate.