How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31692
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and his ex-girlfriend have separated, with her taking

This answer was rated:

My son and his ex-girlfriend have separated, with her taking their daughter. The child has lived with me for the first 6mos of her life, she is now 7 mos old. The mother is forcing me to get a visitation order from the court to see the baby. Is this possible? How do I go about getting such a order established?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

California law confers discretion on the court to grant "reasonable visitation" rights "to any other person [a nonparent] having an interest in the welfare of the child." [Ca Fam § 3100(a) --"reasonable visitation may be ordered to any other person . . ." Barkaloff v. Woodward (1996) 47 Cal.App.4th 393, 398, 55 Cal.Rptr.2d 167, 170]

Because your son and the mother are not married, you should have a valid basis to seek visitation. Here's a good link that outlines the process. It is particular to Sacramento, but the law is the same throughout the state:
Roger and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions