How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her estranged husband, filed for divorce in

Resolved Question:

My daughter and her estranged husband, filed for divorce in Virginia. My daughter and grandchildern have moved to California and the ex has moved to Michigan. He is trying to change jurisdiction from Virginia to California, believing that California laws on joint custody are stricter than Virginia's. He wants to dominate and control my daughter and grandchildren. He has not visited the kids in the 2 years that they have been in California and has no reason to doubt their care. My daughter has always encouraged his interaction with the kids. They have weekly webcam visits at a set time.

The final decree is being held up because of the changes that he wants to make. Can he force the change of jurisdiction?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an attorney here to provide you with legal information.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button. When we are done, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.

Unfortunately he may be able to change jurisdiction to California. Virginia was considered the home state at the time that the divorce/custody was filed. Typically jurisdiction remains in the home state however there is an exception in a situation where none of the parties reside in that state. Since all parties reside in a state other than Virginia and the children and your daughter reside in California, the California court may take jurisdiction

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions