Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter and her estranged husband, filed for divorce in…

Customer Question
My daughter and her estranged...
My daughter and her estranged husband, filed for divorce in Virginia. My daughter and grandchildern have moved to California and the ex has moved to Michigan. He is trying to change jurisdiction from Virginia to California, believing that California laws on joint custody are stricter than Virginia's. He wants to dominate and control my daughter and grandchildren. He has not visited the kids in the 2 years that they have been in California and has no reason to doubt their care. My daughter has always encouraged his interaction with the kids. They have weekly webcam visits at a set time.

The final decree is being held up because of the changes that he wants to make. Can he force the change of jurisdiction?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an attorney here to provide you with legal information.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button. When we are done, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.

Unfortunately he may be able to change jurisdiction to California. Virginia was considered the home state at the time that the divorce/custody was filed. Typically jurisdiction remains in the home state however there is an exception in a situation where none of the parties reside in that state. Since all parties reside in a state other than Virginia and the children and your daughter reside in California, the California court may take jurisdiction

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Ellen, Lawyer