How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27184
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a child visitation modification case going on now. My

This answer was rated:

I have a child visitation modification case going on now. My ex-wife that is trying to obtain partial custody of our daughter after being out of sorts for several years. She has been deemed mentally unfit by a psychologist in a case with another child who was also removed by DCF and is now in Foster care, I suspect that she is still addicted to prescription pain pills that she gets through doctor shopping, and she has some shady looking character living with her on top of it all. My current lawyer is saying that I should agree with the terms of the former custody arrangement which gives her overnights on the weekend, alternate holidays, etc. I'm thinking I would be a screwed up parent if I allow my kid to go back there. What are my options? How can I subpoena records from DCF or ChildNet on the case with her other daughter that is in foster care?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your concern as a parent. The decision to either agree to the former custody agreement, try and sit down and comprise on a new one or to object to her current attempt to gain partial custody and keep sole custody, is entirely up to you. You can certainly take the recommendation of the attorney but the final say and decision is yours. Your attorney needs to act in your best interest and if he/she is saying to agree, you may want to ask them why they feel that this is in your best interest. Why they do not think it is worth fighting? It is important to remember that the Judge is going to act in the best interest of the child. If she is mentally ill, using drugs and has questionable people living with her, the Judge is going to want to know about this and strongly consider it, before allowing shared custody. If the Judge wanted to and he had concerns, based upon evidence presented by your attorney, he could order that she submit to a mental evaluation, as well as random drug tests to make sure she is not using and make sure that this character is not present, if he is a threat or danger, when the child is around. You can ask for these things or put them in an agreed order. Moreover, if she has another child and there were issues with DCF, these issues need to be looked into, to see why the child is in foster care and what she will be able to do at this time, to properly care for your child, that she could not do in the past. If this is relevant information, your attorney can likely obtain it or ask the Judge to sign an order, releasing it, since it does go to the care of the child. Once this is all present, along with evidence to show it is in the best interest of the child to live with you, the Judge can make an informed decision. If for some reason you to do not get the answer from your attorney or find that they are acting in your best interest, you can fire them and retain new counsel. In the event that nothing can be worked out between you and her, the Judge will make the final decision and that is what the parties with be bound by.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

FamilyAnswer and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you