Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I want to know what I need to do to file for full custody.

Customer Question
My boyfriend and father of...
I want to know what I need to do to file for full custody. My boyfriend and father of the child left me and is threatening to file for custody. I have been in charge of the child's care since she was born. He is now living with friens, and has not gave me any child support and he doesn't want to pay any and that is the main reason he wants custody.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2012
Family Lawyer: max713, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
max713
max713, Lawyer

max713 :

Hi, I'm trained and experienced in family law, and I would love to help you through your current situation.

max713 :

Great question.

max713 :

After he files for custody, you will have an opportunity to respond.

max713 :

Then, you will have to prepare for the hearing.

max713 :

You can bring in witnesses and prepare questions.

max713 :

Every witness will have to be listed on an exhibit list beforehand.

max713 :

You can also ask questions outside court (called interrogatories and depositions).

max713 :

And, you can request that a guardian ad litem be appointed (someone to represent the child).

max713 :

If you have less than poverty wages, you may qualify for free legal help through local legal services.

max713 :

This is Iowa Legal Services: www.iowalegalaid.org/

max713 :

Call in and see whether you qualify for free legal help.

max713 :

Does that make sense?

JACUSTOMER-ggdffvnz- :
max713 :

I'm sorry. I cannot see your response. Please retype.

max713
max713
max713, Lawyer