Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

The judge gave my ex Primary custody and gave me joint legal

custody. Even though I have...
The judge gave my ex Primary custody and gave me joint legal custody. Even though I have joint legal, the court papers state that she has final say in which school the kids go to and which doctor they go to as well. My question is this. The kids were in softball and teeball this past year. It was extremely difficult because they had practice on weekdays and games EVERY weekend, which interfered with my visitation weekends. Do I legally have the right to stop their mother from signing them up for the same sports this year? Or because since I only have joint legal and no physical custody, can their mother still put them in the sports even if I say no?
8/1/2012
max713
max713, Lawyer

max713 :

Hi, I'm trained and experienced in family law, and I would love to help you through your current situation.

max713 :

Great question.

max713 :

You have joint legal except for doctor and school visits.

max713 :

Hence, for all other decisions, you share the power to decide.

max713 :

If she decides solely on a setup that interferes with visitation, you have a right to object.

max713 :

You at least should be involved in that decision.

max713 :

But, you should be able to say no if it interferes with court mandated visitations.

Customer:

So as long as in the court papers, it says school and doctor she has the final say, I can tell her NO team sports because it messes up my visitation time and she has to listen?

Customer:

Thank you!

max713
max713, Lawyer
max713
max713
max713, Lawyer