Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In CA if you get married does your spouse autamically become

50% owner of what you...
In CA if you get married does your spouse autamically become 50% owner of what you had prior to your marriage?
8/1/2012
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. Under ordinary circumstances, the answer is "no". California is a community property state and community property is generally divided 50/50, but community property generally includes only property acquired after the date of marriage and before the date of separation, unless acquired by gift, devise, or bequest. There are always exceptions--for example, if the parties have a prenuptial agreement, the property acquired prior to marriage might be split 50/50 by agreement--but normally, one spouse has no right to property acquired prior to marriage by the other.

Brandon M. :

Does that make sense?

Customer:
Customer:

Yes it does thank you,

Brandon M. :

Very good. Did you have any other questions?

Customer:

What happen when you fiance has a kid from a prior relationship and has custody of the kid, do you become legally responsible?

Brandon M. :

Based on being a step-parent, no legal relationship is created between the step-parent and the step-child. Step-parents sometimes adopt, and that creates a legal obligation, but there is ordinarily no legal responsibility.

Brandon M. :

Everyone is responsible for their own kids--not other people's kids.

Customer:
Customer:

THANK YOU

Brandon M. :

Certainly, and please remember to leave a positive rating once you are completely finished since it is the only way I may be compensated for my time. Thanks.

Customer:

I

Customer:
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
It appears that you may have attempted to write something else, but ran into a technical problem. Did you have any further questions?
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney