How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of TN (where we were married this time), how do

This answer was rated:

In the state of TN (where we were married this time), how do I go about getting a legal separation. I will be married 10 yrs in Feb. 2013 and I was also married to him for 5 yrs once before when we lived in OH. The first time I just agreed on an amt. that I thought was fair. However, because of SS needing at least 10 consecutive yrs, I don't want a divorce just yet. He is not physically abusive, but mentally; which I think is worse. He is now 66, retired and a Disabled Veteran (which just started last yr). I am 55 and get Disability Social Security. I'm pretty sure that I can't receive any benefits from his VA Disability Benefit, but I believe I can on his Social Security. Thank you very much!

Thank you for contacting with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

In TN you file for legal separation almost the same as divorce with the family court in the county where you reside. Most courts have simple forms you can complete and file on your own to get a court order that legally separates you, or you can hire an attorney to handle it.

legaleagle and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions