How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Child support ended when the child turned 18. The other parent

This answer was rated:

Child support ended when the child turned 18. The other parent was supposed to keep the child insured but dropped him. What kind of court should we address to get this settled in Polk County, Texas?

How old is the child now? Is the child supposed to be insured still? Or is this to address past payments?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ow old is the child now?

He will be 20 October 27,2012

Is the child supposed to be insured still?



Or is this to address past payments?

When I spoke to the local attorney he said that the past unpaid matching health care costs should be addressed at the same time.


We covered the child under our insurance when she dropped him.

$220.00 a month, plus about $2,000. in matching health care costs.


Thank you for the clarification. The legal mechanism for addressing these issues is a Motion for Contempt. There is an Order of the Court, saying that the insurance was supposed to be maintained and medical costs shared. That has not been followed, so you would file a Motion for Contempt in the same court that issued that order (or if neither party lives there, you can enforce it in Polk County) alleging that the other parent has willfully refused to obey the court's order.


The judge can issue an order forcing the other parent to make

payments under threat of fine or even jail.


See the law here:

JPEsq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

And the contents of the motion are described here: