Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

in 2005 a custody agreement was made during a lengthy divorce.

Children were primary awarded to...
in 2005 a custody agreement was made during a lengthy divorce. Children were primary awarded to the father because mother could not afford at the time to pay continuous lawyer fees while the father received his free from his sister. One of the children involved has now turned 16 and wants to live with his mother. What does she do to make this prcoess happen? Does the child have his own rights? If so how do I help excersize his rights? In the state of Pennsylvania.
7/24/2012
JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer

The Mother would have to file a Petition to Modify the custody order. A 16 year old child does not have absolute authority to choose which parent to live with, but unless there is a problem with the child, his wishes will be very persuasive.

To make this happen, the Mother needs to fill out and follow the instructions on this form: http://courts.phila.gov/pdf/forms/domestic-relations/prose-pet-to-modify-custdy.pdf

Everything the mother needs is in that link. She is the Petitioner, Father is the Respondent. For number 4, she should just state that the child wishes to reside with her and that she is able to care for him.

JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer
JPEsq.
JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer