Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Recently contacted by a woman I dated who says she had a baby

Customer Question
by me. He is over...
Recently contacted by a woman I dated who says she had a baby by me. He is over 21 years old now. Are there any legal liabilities, if he were to be mine, I need to consider before I reach out to her and see what she wants?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Welcome,

It is my goal to deliver information in five-star manner.

I am a licensed attorney but I am not your attorney. The law does not allow me to provide legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship on this public forum.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

From your description, it sounds like paternity has never been established. With that assumption, pursuant to Louisiana's Statute §399 in such a situation where you had no notice of the child, retroactive child support is not available to the mother/child.

If you were to die intestate/without a will, once paternity has been established, the child would be entitled to share in your estate. However you would not be required to include the child in your will

Here is a link to Louisiana Statute §399for your review: http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=107887

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question

Thank you in advance for remembering to rate my service. If you experience difficulty using the rating buttons, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if a positive rating registers.
She did say she put my name down on the birth certificate, but I did not give any permission to do so. She notified me years ago that she was pregnant, but we lived in separate cities and had only seen each other a couple of times so I assumed/rationalized he wasn't mine. Does this change anything?

It would change my answer if you had signed the birth certificate. However without your written consent or admission to paternity, the fact that she listed your name on the birth certificate would typically be immaterial.
Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer