How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recently contacted by a woman I dated who says she had a baby

Resolved Question:

Recently contacted by a woman I dated who says she had a baby by me. He is over 21 years old now. Are there any legal liabilities, if he were to be mine, I need to consider before I reach out to her and see what she wants?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


It is my goal to deliver information in five-star manner.

I am a licensed attorney but I am not your attorney. The law does not allow me to provide legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship on this public forum.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

From your description, it sounds like paternity has never been established. With that assumption, pursuant to Louisiana's Statute §399 in such a situation where you had no notice of the child, retroactive child support is not available to the mother/child.

If you were to die intestate/without a will, once paternity has been established, the child would be entitled to share in your estate. However you would not be required to include the child in your will

Here is a link to Louisiana Statute §399for your review:

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question

Thank you in advance for remembering to rate my service. If you experience difficulty using the rating buttons, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if a positive rating registers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She did say she put my name down on the birth certificate, but I did not give any permission to do so. She notified me years ago that she was pregnant, but we lived in separate cities and had only seen each other a couple of times so I assumed/rationalized he wasn't mine. Does this change anything?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

It would change my answer if you had signed the birth certificate. However without your written consent or admission to paternity, the fact that she listed your name on the birth certificate would typically be immaterial.
Ellen and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions