Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Texas- 16 yr old living with mom and moms new husband. Mom

Texas- 16 yr old living with mom and moms new husband. Mom is physical and mentally abusive but because I ran away once and was in juvi for a short time I'm threatened if I call child pertiective service on her they won't believe me. I want to go live with my Dad and be emancipated from my mom, but scared and confused. Please advise!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Is your dad okay with you coming to live with him?

Is your dad also in Texas?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dad is in Texas same city, and he would not deny me living with him. My only concern is there are 3 of us. My oldest sister 18, and a brother 14. Not sure what my brother would do if he stayed behind or how my dad would feel about that. He is not abused as I am. He does what ever my mom says so to keep her happy and the attention off of him. I make sure of that! I protect him. Oldest sister does not realize she can leave the house but she is affraid of our mom. I spoke to my step mom and she told me its the child support why our mom is holding us back from finishing school, failing classess intentionally to keep us longer in the houshold. I have enough credits to graduate in 2013. We were all pulled out of regular school and home schooled then placed in a network program that our mom controls. Only she can log us in and takes us out when she gets mad. this has caused me to fail a class and my GPA drop from a 4.0 to 3.1. She knows I want out and we fight about this daily. My only friends are on facebook. I'm not allowed to leave the house like most teens do. NO MALL, No walking in the naighborhood, not allowed to use the phone and the computer is shared only for school work. I know this is too much information but I'm scared she will keep me from graduating or failing classess by keeping home or taking me out of school this year. this will be my 1st time back in the public school systems since she took us all out 3 years ago. Texas Teen.

Thank you for the information.

Response: No, it is not too much information. I need all the information necessary to assist you.

I am truly sorry to hear about your ordeal and that of your siblings. What you mother is allegedly doing here is not legal. She can get in trouble for that if you call child services and file complaint against her. Really you should. Here is the information to report the abuse:

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Contact_Us/report_abuse.asp

Your sister is an adult. She can leave the house now without a Court Order. Age of majority in Texas is 18.

For you, you need to ask your dad to file Modification of Custody and ask the Court to give him custody so that you can go and live with him. With this modification, your dad would stop paying child support for you because you now live with him. If your father does not want to do this, then you can go to Court yourself and ask the Court to terminate the parental relationship between you and your mother. The forms for filing this complaint are available at the Courthouse at the Clerk’s office in the District Court in the County where you reside with your mother and where the initial Order was issued. You can ask your father to tell you where the Court is.