How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a smal business and unfortunatly have several years unpaid

This answer was rated:

I own a smal business and unfortunatly have several years unpaid taxes. The IRS is not seeking me at this point. I want to get married but my fiancee owns her house outright and I don't want her to loose that because of my stupidity. Is there any way we can get married and still protect her assets?

Thank you...
DearCustomer- A spouse is not responsible for the premarital debts of the new spouse. You should not add your name to any of her assets and I would not file joint tax returns until you resolve your IRS problems. Any funds or assets that you commingle could be subject to a tax lien so keeping everything separate is the best way to protect her from any collection efforts.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you