How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13486
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what right to i have to my child i singen my right over to

This answer was rated:

what right to i have to my child i singen my right over to my x but i wanted share cutdouit what can i do
Thank you for your question.

So I can better assist you, I need more information first, please. Can you tell me:

1) When you say you signed your rights over, did a court terminate your parental rights, or you did just have an agreement with your ex?

2) What state is this in?

3) Is your name on the birth certifcate/have you acknowledged paternity of the child?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i signed cout papers it was in or but she lives in illinois now yes my name is XXXXX XXXXX bith certifcate yes i have acknowledged paternity i go back to see her and take to her on the phone and we text each other

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your patience while I responded to you. Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If your rights were legally terminated through the courts (which it sounds like they were since you mention signing court papers) then the only way to restore your parental rights would be for you to legally adopt the child, which requires the consent of the other parent. I know that sounds strange given that you are the biological parent, but the legal effect of the termination was to make you a stranger to your child in the eyes of the law.

You seem to have a relationship with the child, which suggests a good relationship with the other parent. If that is the case, you may want to approach the idea of allowing you to adopt your child. If the other parent is opposed to this, however, then unfortunately there would be nothing you could do to reinstate your parental rights.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

RobertJDFL and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you and i well need to get back with you about a week i need to look at my papers thank you
That's fine. After you find your papers and have had a chance to read them over, you can simply reply back to this question and the system should notify me that you need further assistance.