How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 14 year old Granddaughter who lives in Louisianna.

This answer was rated:

I have a 14 year old Granddaughter who lives in Louisianna. Her boyfriend just turned 16. We just found out that she is about 2 months pregnant. What are the legal ramifications for this boy and are there any that my granddaugher can be held accountable for?
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question. I apologize for the brief delay, but I have been reviewing the pertinent Louisiana statutes to provide you with a complete answer.
I am sorry to hear about the situation with your granddaughter. The issue of whether the boy has committed a crime revolves around the age gap. If there are more than 2 years between her birth date and his birth date, he could potentially be charged with a crime. That said, if he is charged with a crime, it could potentially adversely affect his potential earning capacity in the future, so that's something the parents would want to consider, as he will be liable for child support and the amount will be affected by his earning capacity. RS 14:81 is the relevant statute and you can read it here: That statute is drafted in a fashion that could include charging a younger person who has been sexually involved with an older person under 17 years old, but I would be surprised if it was applied that way. Other age of consent laws can be viewed here:
Again, I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter's circumstances. Please remember that my job here is to provide accurate information about the law. Providing bad news is the hardest part of doing my job but it's a big part of doing my job well. If you feel that the law is wrong or unfair, I'd strongly encourage you to contact your legislators, as they are the only ones who can change it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay she will be 15 on Oct 29, 2012 and he was 16 April 19, 2012. I understand the child support issue.
Thank you for your message. That would be less than a 2 year gap. That would be 1 year and 193 days. If you have further questions, please let me know using Reply.
Again, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation and I wish your family all the best.
AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you