How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Girl friend lived with me for 5 yrs. Left on her on accord,

This answer was rated:

Girl friend lived with me for 5 yrs. Left on her on accord, took alot of my items while I was gone. BUT we decided to put my truck in her name to help with my insurance issues. She has her own truck but in now coming after mine. She even admitted to a police officer that it was my truck and it was in her name because of insurance. What can I do? Do I need to get an attorney?
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question.
I'm very sorry that you're having to go through that. Unfortunately, even when a cohabiting partner takes items that clearly belong to the other partner, officers will sometimes decline to get involved. This is because the line between civil and criminal can get blurry with cohabitants. You will want to retain an attorney. If you've been making payments on the vehicle and if she hasn't, that would provide a claim to a portion (or all) of its value. You will want to present all of your evidence to your attorney so that he can effectively develop your case. Also be sure to provide your attorney with a proper list of items taken and their values.
AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I still have my truck, its insured in my name but the title ( she says she doesnt have it and I cant find it) is in hers. Ipaid for the truck in full at the time of purchase and have been paying insurance the whole time. I "sold" it to her for $1.00 Can I get an attorney to put a "hold" on all assests till this is settled?

Thank you for your message. Due to a site bug, I was not notified of your message. However, I discovered it as I carefully monitor my existing questions for this very reason. I apologize for the slight delay that resulted. Please be patient with me and I'll post an answer to your follow-up as quickly as I can.
Thank you.
Thank you for your patience and understanding with regard to that bug. I have to remain vigilant to catch that. It's rare, but when it happens, it's really annoying.
It's possible to ask a judge to freeze assets during a lawsuit if there's a reason to believe a party will try to hide assets to avoid paying a judgment. That said, a judge may decline to do so unless he feels it's necessary to prevent injustice or he may only be willing to freeze assets to a certain extent. If you have the vehicle and the title is in her name, freezing assets may not be necessary, as you may just need to file suit to get her to return the title to you. That said, she may try to claim that the vehicle was sold to her or that it was a gift. You would then try to show that it was not and you would attempt to show the agreement you had with your ex. To be honest, it could get complicated and there are claims for both sides. I'm sorry to say that and I'm sorry you have to put up with that, but it's the truth.
AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you