How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is become 21 years (NYC) of age this Jan. 2012.

Resolved Question:

My daughter is become 21 years (NYC) of age this Jan. 2012. Do I have to continue to pay children if she decides to start attend college before her 21 first birthday.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Even if a child is in college, both parents have a duty to support the child in New York until the child reaches age 21 or is emancipated. If it can be shown that your daughter is emancipated, the court may terminate support early. A child is emancipated if it can be shown that she is married, in the military, self-supporting, or if she leaves the homes of the parents and refuses to obey the parents' reasonable commands.
My job here is to provide accurate information about the law. Providing bad news is the hardest part of doing my job but it's a big part of doing the job well. If you feel that the law is wrong on this issue, I'd strongly encourage you to contact your legislators, as they are the only ones who can change it.
AttorneyTom and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you