How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing first for a divorce and we have a 13 yr together.

Resolved Question:

I am filing first for a divorce and we have a 13 yr together. She has mentioned that she wants to stay in the house she grew up in but I moved out a year ago. My question is I am asking for shared custody does that mean she will live with her father and spend most of her time there; if he gets residential that is.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
With shared residential custody, neither parent is really the primary. Instead, parents have very liberal, loose rights and they're expected to work together to facilitate a child's well-being. This is generally only granted when parents get along well and when they can work together. If parents cannot work together, one parent would ask for greater custodial rights. A parent who wants superior residential rights would generally ask for primary residential custody and not shared residential custody.
AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you